Sunday, January 6, 2013

Feeding Pigs Bacon...

I can't remember exactly the circumstances, but once upon a time I was watching some commercials for a movie in which a family had a pet pig... For breakfast that morning the family had cooked bacon. Well, one of the boys, being a typical boy, fed the pig a piece of bacon... The older sister was a little more ethical and told her brother that it was NOT OK to feed their pet pig, bacon!

 

Now, you may wonder why someone would do this... the truth is, normal people wouldn't! I consider myself a semi-normal person... so this is something I have actually never done... Unfortunately, I may or may not have done something similar...
It all started Thursday night. But first there is a background story!
Once upon a time one of our neighbors, J, had a cow. For a while she milked it and we bought some milk for her. Well, she was working toward moving and needed to start getting rid of her farm. Her cow was no longer giving milk, so we bought it from her, butchered it, and put it in the freezer. Currently J's son, D, is staying with us while she is out of town for nine days.
Side note: we are helping milk a different cow with a few other neighbors, so we have raw milk several days a week.
So, back to Thursday. It was D's first night at our house... We were sitting down at the table eating dinner. At our house it is a little too crazy to just let everyone "Dig in!" so to simplify the dishing up process, one or two of the older girls usually stand up, ask for everyone's plates one at a time, and just dish them up.
The milk was by me, so I stood up and started pouring if for the people near me. I asked D if he wanted some milk. He said, "Sure." and passed me his cup.
(We always put our milk in milk jugs because the kids drink it better that way.) I wanted to make sure D knew this was raw milk before I poured it, even though I figured it would be fine with him, so I said, "This is raw milk from a cow. Is that still ok?"
He smiled and said, "Yeah. We used to... Wait, You guys bought Mona (the cow) from us... This must be her milk! How is she doing?"
Me: "Uhhh...." [AWKWARD!!!] "Ya know... I'm not sure..." That was a straight up lie! But, how do you tell the poor kid that his cow is no longer among the living??? "Uh... D, Mona is fantastic--especially with a little bit of Bar-B-Que Sauce!" ;)
Well, we all let that go and finished dinner.
Of course, I was dying on the inside! I don't know why that struck my funny bone so hard, but it did. Neither of my parents were home so I had to text them and tell them all about dinner!
We all had a pretty good laugh.
Well, the next night my mom decide to make mashed potatoes, gravy, and steaks... Yeah... You can probably guess where this is going.
I didn't think much of it until my dad  came into the kitchen, turned to me, pointed to the steaks and said, "MOOOO-na!" Bahahaha!
We were going to eat Mona for dinner while D was with us! Now if that's not worse than feeding a pig bacon, I don't know what is!
We decided that it was definitely best to keep the source of the meat on the down low so D wouldn't know... especially since he thought Mona was still alive!
Well, Friday night we all sat down to eat dinner. The meat came around to me so I started to cut it up and pass it around to the people near me. I grabbed one of the bigger steaks and started to cut it. D looked over and said, "That one is good for me!"
I took my knife out of it, picked it up, and placed it on his plate...
"Uhh... ok. Here ya go! Enjoy!" ;)
So there he had it--the biggest steak on the entire plate. If only he knew where it came from...
At that point I couldn't take it anymore! I just started laughing! And then my mouth opened... (Sometimes I think my mouth does things involuntarily because I don't mentally approve of a lot of things I say before I say them.)
"Did you guys ever see the commercial for that one movie? I can't remember what it was... but it showed this little boy feeding his pet pig, bacon! Bahaha! It was hysterical! ...[pause] I just don't know why eating dinner tonight would make me think of that." Then I started winking like crazy and the whole table lost it! Of course we were all laughing uncontrollably, so D starts laughing along with us... I just kept thinking, "Oh dear! If only you knew..." ha ha!
So that's been our joke lately. Whenever we want to refer to our experience, we just say one of our keywords "Pigs" or "Bacon".
So from now on, whenever you go to eat your meat, just ask yourself one question, "Do I know where this came from?"

-Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment